2022 Volume 10 Issue 4
Creative Commons License

Female Sex Hormones and Periodontal Health: Assessment of Knowledge and Awareness Among Women of Western Maharashtra


Sharayu Kulkarni, Sameer Zope, Girish Suragimath, Siddhartha Varma, Apurva Kale
Abstract

Sex hormones play an important role in periodontal health and disease. For example, puberty, menses, pregnancy, menopause, and oral contraceptive use influence a woman’s periodontal health by causing a biological impact on the periodontal microbiology, by altering gingival cell function and vasculature, the local immune system and thus affecting inflammation process. Therefore, it’s crucial to assess awareness about hormonal effects on periodontal health in women and educate them about various modalities to reduce these effects. Thus current study aims to assess awareness and knowledge regarding the effect of female sex hormones on periodontal health among the female population of Western Maharashtra. This was a questionnaire-based cross-sectional study which was survey was conducted among the Female population in Western Maharashtra. This questionnaire consisted of 15 pre-tested validated close-ended questions assessing respondents’ awareness and knowledge regarding female sex hormones and periodontal health relationships. Following the provision of the Subject information sheet filled consent form was obtained before enrolling the subjects into the study. The filled questionnaire was collected and analyzed using SPSS 20.0 software after data collection. Results showed overall low awareness (66%) among majority of the study population followed by average awareness among the rest (34%) of the participants related to hormonal influence on periodontal health. 43% general female population had knowledge about the possible correlation between pregnancy and periodontal health. We concluded that awareness of female sex hormones and periodontal health relationships in females of Western Maharashtra lacks. Therefore, creating awareness about this relationship is necessary to prevent periodontal diseases.


How to cite this article
Vancouver
Kulkarni S, Zope S, Suragimath G, Varma S, Kale A. Female Sex Hormones and Periodontal Health: Assessment of Knowledge and Awareness Among Women of Western Maharashtra. Ann Dent Spec. 2022;10(4):49-55. https://doi.org/10.51847/xL2Ee7GX7P
APA
Kulkarni, S., Zope, S., Suragimath, G., Varma, S., & Kale, A. (2022). Female Sex Hormones and Periodontal Health: Assessment of Knowledge and Awareness Among Women of Western Maharashtra. Annals of Dental Specialty, 10(4), 49-55. https://doi.org/10.51847/xL2Ee7GX7P
Issue 1 Volume 11 - 2023
Call for Papers